Tuesday 2 February 2010

On Seeing A New Book For The First Time...


by Matt Lynn




Headline sent through first copies of the hardback of 'Fire Force' last week, ahead of the publication of the book at the end of this week.


As you can see, it looks fantastic. The cover is slick and sharp, and not quite like anything else on the market.

Despite the inevitable trials and tribulations of this job, there is nothing quite like seeing your book in print for the first time. It is an incredible rush. I usually spend a fair few minutes just looking at the thing. After that, I usually put it down on a coffee table, and walk around it a bit, looking at it from different angles.

After that, I'll flick through it, and read a few favorite passages to myself. And then read a few at randon. And after that, I'll probably put it back on the table, and walk around it a bit more.

This can go on for days.

Ok, I'm nuts.

But, I suspect, most authors, if they are being honest, do something similar.

I don't imagine that thrill ever wears off. I hope not anyway.

1 comment:

  1. The spine of CUT SHORT displays a left eye. For some reason, the proof copy has the image inverted, so the eye is a right one. I've put the two versions side by side on my bookshelf and when I look up at my book, the two eyes stare back at me... It still gives me a thrill, even after six months and two reprints.

    ReplyDelete