Thursday 25 February 2010

Enough to put your back up

Is it just me or do other people experience uncanny problems with their computers? You could say I only notice when problems occur on the odd days when I urgently need my set up to work, and don't register other glitches that happen...
It's over 2 years since my publisher asked for the final MS of CUT SHORT. That was the evening my hard disc failed. Bad timing.
Last week my publisher wanted the final changes for ROAD CLOSED. I typed out what was wanted, ready to send. I had never had a problem with internet access but at that exact moment, my connection packed up . Bad timing.
Can this be coincidence? Yes, of course I know it is, but I can't help feeling, "As flies to wanton boys are we to the gremlins in our computers..." (to paraphrase Lear, badly – sorry!)
With my awareness of potential risks lurking around every corner (I do write crime fiction!) I have an automatic weekly back up on my PC. I save my work daily on a PC, netbook and memory stick. And yes, I have my back up for internet access. If all else fails, there's always my dongle.
But where's the back up for ME when I feel like packing up and switching off?
It's enough to put anyone's back up.
Leigh Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment